“Understanding Afghanistan and Central Asia” is a program that has been developed by the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy to raise awareness of the challenges and opportunities facing Afghanistan and central Asia today, and to contribute to the global policy debate on the best strategies for ensuring sustainable development and stability in the region.
|Understanding Afghanistan and Central Asia
About the Program
The program consists of a number of different components, such as ongoing research and analysis; hosting local, national, and international conferences; organising cultural events and individual lectures; and holding Young Leaders Programs that bring together students and young professionals with an active interest in Afghanistan and the central Asian region.
The program pursues the following specific aims:
The program is focused on four specific issues:
- To bring together likeminded individuals from Afghanistan, central Asia, and across the world in the fields of international politics, diplomacy, business and economics, academia, and civil society
- To contribute to the global debate on the challenges and opportunities facing Afghanistan and central Asia through research and events open to the general public
- To bring together young leaders from Afghanistan and central Asia, central Asian Diaspora communities, Europe, and the wider international community with an active interest in Afghanistan.
- The history, development, and cultural diversity of central Asian states, with a particular focus on Afghanistan
- The key political and security challenges that currently face Afghanistan and the central Asian region, and new strategies to address these challenges
- The role of NATO and other members of the international community in working with local partners to promote democracy and development in Afghanistan and central Asia
- The importance of Afghanistan and Pakistan to regional stability and in the context of global politics