“Canada Meets Germany: A Forum for Young Leaders” is the ICD’s oldest and most established Young Leaders Forum. It is an active, interdisciplinary network of Young Leaders from Canada and Germany that is highlighted by an annual Weeklong Study Tour alternating between Canada and Germany. The Study Tours provide the group with an opportunity to learn more about the relationship and the context within which it is set from experts in the fields of politics, diplomacy, the private sector and civil society.
|CMG Young Leaders Program
Each year the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy selects 12 new members to join the CMG Young Leaders Forum. These Young Leaders take part in two consecutive Study Tours, the first with the participants who joined the year previously, and the second with the participants who will join the following year. By overlapping the "generations" of CMG young leaders we are able to ensure a continual influx of fresh ideas and perspectives.
CMG Forum members are selected to ensure the group contains a diverse mixture of professional and academic backgrounds, and represents the cultural diversity of the country of their nationality. All members have shown leadership and determination in their career and have a demonstrated interest in intercultural relations.
The CMG annual Study Tours alternate between Canada and Germany and consist of a weeklong program of lectures, seminars, workshops and panel discussions. The speakers during these programs including leading figures from the fields of international politics, diplomacy, economics, the private sector and civil society. CMG Study Tours also include cultural and social activities that allow the participants to explore the host cities.
CMG Member Profile
- Between 28 and 38 years of age;
- At least three years into professional career, with an established track record of leadership success, innovation, and originality in their field;
- Demonstrated leadership, drive, and excellent interpersonal skills;
- A thirst for knowledge and new experiences;
- An active interest and curiosity in issues pertinent to Canada and Germany;
- Ready to contribute to strengthening relationships and furthering understanding between Canada and Germany;
- Eager to disseminate the results of the Study Tour among their colleagues, within their networks;
- Willing to commit actively to this two-year program, involving one week-long trip to Canada, one to Germany, and becoming an active part of the growing CMG network, especially through the development of leadership initiatives throughout the year.