|The Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies (CCDS)
BA & Master Programs in Cultural Diplomacy
BA & MA Programs
Our BA and MA Programs
It is our pleasure to introduce you to our BA & Master programs in Cultural Diplomacy.
We at the CCDS have worked intensively and collectively to design innovative graduate level programs that provide a unique approach to the study of the fields of international relations, global economics, intercultural relations, art & culture, globalization and global governance. We believe that the traditional academic components of a degree in these fields must adapt to the dynamics of a rapidly changing world. To that end, our approach to contemporary global affairs focuses also on the increasingly important roles of soft power and cultural diplomacy in world affairs.
The programs are unique and innovative in their content and approach. These new interdisciplinary programs provide fundamental knowledge in international relations theory and allow for individual work in an area of particular interest offering professional development and internship opportunities in related fields. For students with a deep interest in foreign policy, international affairs, cultural diplomacy, political science, or international economics, the programs are ideal platforms to gain significant hands-on experience and a high-level of knowledge, and to launch a career before the completion of their studies or immediately thereafter.
Concept of the Degrees
The diminishing power of the individual nation state, combined with the truly international nature of modern issues like global politics & economics, human rights, global health, climate change and international terrorism, requires interdisciplinary academic instruction and experience. The knowledge and understanding of bilateral and multilateral relations have assumed a greater importance than at any time before and international cooperation has therefore become imperative in maintaining and improving the economic, political, and social environment in countries worldwide. The processes of international relations pervade almost all areas of human activity, and the issues that foreign policy makers address at the highest levels increasingly affect the ordinary lives of people around the world.
These developments have significantly increased interest in the study of International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy, and, concurrently, have created a need for professionals who understand these subjects. Expertise in one field no longer guarantees professional success, and it is therefore vital that those aspiring to work in international relations and diplomacy fields have an advanced understanding of a number of relevant disciplines, including, but not limited to, International Politics, International Economics, Diplomacy, Culture, Philosophy, and History. University programs striving to endow students and young leaders with the fundamental understanding and practical skills necessary for careers in international affairs therefore must adjust their programs accordingly to include commerce, development, and culture as topics of study, in addition to including multinational and supranational organizations as topics of study.
The Programs in Cultural Diplomacy, which operate under a joint partnership between the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy and leading European universities, offer unique educational programs that educate students from around the world in several academic disciplines related to International Relations and Cultural Diplomacy. The programs go beyond the traditional International Relations-based approach to globalization, while considering the role of Cultural Diplomacy and interdependence in a multi-polar world.
The programs are distinct in offering:
- A practice-based approach through debates, role-plays, scenarios, and interactive simulations.
- Teaching by lecturers with background/expertise in: International Strategic Planning and Security, Defense Analysis, UN Training, Conflict Communication, Foreign Offices, New Media, and Risk Analysis, in addition to other related fields. Students will have access to an expert faculty with experience in International Politics and Diplomacy, and will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to work in a complex global order.
- Cutting-edge lectures and seminars from prestigious guest speakers, practitioners, diplomats, and strategists
Key Objectives of the Programs
- Provide students with an in-depth understanding of the theory and practice of International Relations within the contemporary interdependent world, while placing a particular emphasis on Cultural Diplomacy within this framework
- Educate students about Cultural Diplomacy within the context of the political, economic, and cultural foundations upon which sustainable international relations are based
- Analyze soft power and hard power strategies within the international relations discourse
- Examine contemporary obstacles to peaceful international relations using historical and modern case studies, while considering how Cultural Diplomacy can be used to mitigate tension and conflict in the international community
- Equip students with the relevant skill sets and knowledge required to embark on a career in the highly competitive international arena
- Provoke individual thought and reflection on new issues surrounding the rapidly developing field of Cultural Diplomacy
Key Benefits of the Program
- The program offers a core curriculum in International Relations, which will prepare the student for a vast array of career opportunities across the world.
- Students will obtain an expertise in Cultural Diplomacy which is currently a rare, yet rapidly evloving and important field, within the public sector, private sector, and civil society.
- Students of this program will be significantly advantaged in the political arena against students who simply obtain an BA/MA in International Relations.
- During the Professional Development semester of the program, students will be able to create and implement their own programs of Cultural Diplomacy and experience how the knowledge they have gained can be effectively applied in the professional world. This also provides the relevant professional experience and contacts that can assist students in preparing for their future careers.
- Graduates will discover that the curriculum and faculty prepare them for evolving careers in academia and all public and private international sectors.
- Students will have exclusive privileges to all ICD events and programs around the world, which will provide access to prominent experts in various fields.