In Partnership with:
|The Center for Cultural Diplomacy
Certificate Program in International Relations & Cultural Diplomacy
Spring Program: Berlin, May 1st - 31st, 2013
Summer Programs: Berlin, July 1st - 31st, 2013; Berlin, August 1st - 30th, 2013
Perspectives on Cultural Diplomacy & Soft Power from Previous Events
"Cultural Diplomacy: A Strategic Tool to Enhance Dialogue, Cooperation, and the Rule of Law"
Watch a Lecture by the Hon. Francesco Rutelli, Former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Culture of Italy
(Berlin, December 15th, 2012)
“The Use of Innovative Concepts of Intercultural Dialogue to Build Friendship and Foster Trust between Civil Society Groups from the USA and the Islamic World"
Watch a Lecture by H.E. Amb. Houda Nonoo, Ambassador of Bahrain to the United States
(Washington, D.C., January 10th, 2013)
"No Diplomacy without Culture"
Watch a Lecture by the Hon. Yves Leterme, (OECD Deputy Secretary General; Former Prime Minister of Belgium)
(Berlin, December 16th, 2011)
Certificate Program in International Relations & Cultural Diplomacy is a month weeklong programs that explore the role of cultural diplomacy in contemporary international relations. Each program features lectures, seminars and workshops lead by experts from the fields of international politics, diplomacy, academia, civil society, and the private sector. During their time in Berlin participants will also have the opportunity to take part in cultural and social activities and to visit institutions such as the German Foreign Office, the German Parliament, the Berlin City Hall, cultural institutions and Berlin-based embassies.
The Certificate Program in Cultural Diplomacy, offered by the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy in Berlin, Germany is a program of specialized courses, designed to provide participants with core knowledge in the field of Cultural Diplomacy. The program will combine both theory and practice, making it a unique experience for those interested in this innovative point of view on Diplomacy.
In addition to courses taught by leading practitioners in the field of Cultural Diplomacy, students will participate in the diverse activities of the ICD, including international conferences and forums, social activities, and events. The educational programs of the CCDS are actively supported by major figures in international politics, academia, the diplomatic community, civil society, and the private sector.
Finally, students will have the possibility to experience living in Berlin, a dynamic, multicultural city with a rich historical heritage and wide array of cultural and recreational activities. Learn more about student life in Berlin (more)
The program is open to applications from governmental and diplomatic officials, journalists, civil society practitioners, young professionals, private sector representatives, and other interested stakeholders from across the world.
If you would like to reserve a position please click on the Apply button below:
Key Objectives of the Program
The Key Objectives of the program are:
- To provide participants with an in depth understanding of the theory and practice of international relations within the contemporary interdependent world placing a particular emphasis on cultural diplomacy within this framework
- To educate participants about cultural diplomacy within the context of the political, economic and cultural pillars upon which sustainable international relations are based.
- To analyze soft power and hard power strategies within the international relations discourse in the recognition that each element is mutually important and compatible in what Prof. Joseph Nye has characterized as “smart power.”
Benefits of the Program
The main benefits of the program are:
- The program offers participants a core curriculum of International Relations, which will prepare the participants for career opportunities across the world.
- Participants will have access to an expert faculty with experience in international politics and diplomacy, and will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to work in a complex global order.
- Participants will obtain an expertise in cultural diplomacy which is currently a rare yet rapidly increasing and important field within the public sector, private sector and civil society.
Certificate of Attendance
All participants will be awarded an official certificate of attendance upon completion of the program, which will provide details of the speakers who took part and the topics discussed. Each certificate will be signed by members of the ICD's Advisory Board. (The ICD Advisory Board list can be found here.)